Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Ratchet and Clank Ideation Sketches - 11 years late but still worth the wait

I recently had the time to go through my piles of Ratchet and Clank ideation sketches so that I can digitally archive them. I know it's like 11 years late but scanning each one of them in would take a significant amount of time. So after a decade of waiting I figured now's as good a time as any to take pictures of them, now that digital cameras exist. Below is the final Clank design. He's been through a pretty rigorous iterative process to get to this point.



Check out the updated Ratchet and Clank section of my website to see how Clank came to be.You'll also see a bunch more concepts and ideation sketches that helped shape the tone of the franchise. These sketches have never been seen outside the walls of Insomniac Games, other than a few class lectures and some folks at Sony, no one else has ever seen these... my fault for keeping them all to myself:).


Anyway, I hope you enjoy seeing these as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Cheers!

John

No comments: